Monday 2 April 2012

The Wild Rumpus Begins--At Yellow Lake US Launch

Last weekend, the totally wonderful Wild Rumpus children's book store in Minneapolis was the venue for the US launch of At Yellow Lake. The book has been scheduled for a June 12 release, but thanks to the tireless efforts of Frances Lincoln's publicity people, books were released in time to be sold for my visit to my family here in the US.

Here are a few pictures of the happy event--


The marvellous display--no wonder the books sold out! I was tempted to buy one myself!




 

Here are some of the Wild Rumpus Advanced Reading Group (as well as several press-ganged customers)








 
I met the charming Minnesota-based author Brian Farrey, pictured here with my equally charming sister, Anne. Brian is up for a Minnesota Book Award for his YA novel  "With or Without You", which has also been named a Stonewall Honor Book by the American Library Association. He is publishing a middle grade fantasy adventure this summer--a versatile writer and a lovely man!








And, of course, there was the cake....




I was happy that my aunt, Marilyn Boe, could attend. Marilyn's a writer herself and her poetry includes a wonderful collection about the real cabin at Yellow Lake, which was built by my grandfather, her dad.



Here's a happy reader who took a book home with her. My sister's neighbour, Quinn, a voracious reader and talented young writer, also became the Wild Rumpus Advanced Reader's Group's latest recruit. I'm looking forward to reading her review of At Yellow Lake...




Finally, here's me following Candy Gourlay's advice...

 



.....just smiling!




3 comments:

  1. Yay! I like your Just Smiling photo! Don't remember giving the advice though. Looks like great fun, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't Candy's advice involve Big Hair and lip gloss? Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS, and I'm sure At Yellow Lake is going to do very well, because it is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I managed the lip gloss, Keren...and check out the nail varnish. A first time for me! It's been a great experience, and I've been so proud to fly the flag for #UKYA and for Frances Lincoln.

    ReplyDelete